Black Magic was developed by Nuccio’s Nurseries in Altadena, California. It is an extraordinary camellia with very dark glossy red waxy type petals. Unusual holly-like foliage. It blooms late season.
Camellias younger than 3 years old usually don’t have many buds. Plant now for buds later!
- Species: Japonica
- Bloom Color: Deep red, heavy glossy wax type petals
- Foliage: very heavily serrated holly like foliage
- Bloom Size: Large 4-5″
- Bloom Form: Semidouble
- Bloom Season: Mid to late winter
- Growth Habit: Upright and spreading
- Growth Rate: Vigorous ( +8 inches of new growth per season)
- Maintainable Height: 4-6′
- Maintainable Width: 4-6′
- Light Preferences: Filtered shade
- Climate: Zone 7 and 8. Likes a little cooler winter to bloom but not extended heavy freezes.
- Plant Uses: Accent Plant, Foundation Plant, Screen or Hedge, Container Plant